So...January has been a little bit of a hellish month for me (forgive my language, but it's the only way to describe it). I was really trying to get healthy because we knew we were going to do the IVF in Jan. Well...who would have thought trying to get healthy would make me sick!! grr...
I was sick with a sinus bug from before Thanksgiving until Christmas. I went to the dr at the beginnning of Dec and got an antibiotic hoping to "wipe it out fast" and get on to being healthy.
So, I start feeling better around Christmas finally, and then right after the New year's I start having GI issues. Nothing debilitating, but annoying and a little concerning. At first, I think I just messed up my eating schedule and habits over the holidays and that's it. SO, I try eating better and working out. GI issues don't go away...I wait about a week and a half. I had to go to Boston for work and visited my sister while I was there. I was to the point where it would hurt a few hours after eating, so I was already not enjoying eating food. Well, my sister talked me into making an appt with my GI dr to get things figured out (especially before we started all the "hardcore" IVF stuff). The GI dr just happen to have a cancellation thurs afternoon (the afternoon after I flew back to HSV--he's usually booked AT LEAST a month in advance). So, I go in and he asks some questions. It's been a couple years since I've seen him, so he says let's schedule a colonoscopy just in case test results are inconclusive...AND he wants to do...a stool sample (UGH!!) to see what's going on (whether it's bacterial).
Let me just say...I NEVER want to have to do that again. So, I think "yuck" and start freaking out, because the dr also recommended postponing IVF depending on results from the sample... I think "nope, not postponing unless I HAVE to". So I go home with my "at home kit" and dread the night away. Well I ended up also spending the night waking up doubled over in pain every 2 hours! I was MISERABLE! I wake up and go to work, call the dr since it's a new symptom, call the IVF clinic with an update, wait to hear the news from the test results, and still curl up every less than 2 hours in pain (while at work might I add).
GI nurse FINALLY calls late in the afternoon and says they didn't get the results and won't until Monday, because I dropped the sample off at one location and the dang currier didn't pick it up in time to get it processed that day!! But, the dr thinks it might be bacterial, so he calls in a prescription for antibiotics and one for the pain I'm in.
(Oh and did I mention that I'm already giving myself daily shots along the way...that was fun traveling with shots!) ;)
Well, I think Friday night might have been the worst night of my life (with Thursday as a close second, of course). I felt like I had NO control over my body. I felt absolutely horrible. But, after a nice blessing from DH and a friend, I did get some sleep and was able to rest and "recover" over the weekend. Monday was an off work day, so I got to rest for free that day too! And, the tests came back that I had Clostridium Difficle (or C. diff. in medical lingo). Sung was SHOCKED when he heard. (They have to suit up in masks and body suits at the hospital for any patients with it...) I was just glad that I was on the right meds and could still go through IVF! Dr said it's caused by taking antibiotics, so the antibiotics in December probably resulted in the infection. I guess your intestinal bacteria (both good and bad) gets wiped out by the antibiotics and the C. diff. just grows and thrives in there and causes all the problems...
So long story short, bad month caused by last bad month, but good because we're still on for IVF! (I'll catch up on the IVF related posts soon!)

No comments:
Post a Comment